Public Access Policy
Heafey Law Library is a private library open to Santa Clara University (SCU) faculty, staff and law school students. Licensed attorneys and SCU law school graduates can purchase a courtesy card to gain access to Heafey Law Library; please see our Courtesy Card Policy. All other individuals do not have access to Heafey Law Library, except where noted below.
1. SCU undergraduate and non-law graduate students do not have access to Heafey Law Library as a study space. Students must provide a pass to Heafey circulation staff from an Orradre staff member to access material not available at Orradre. Orradre research assistants do not require a pass but must show a valid Orradre research assistant card to gain access to the collection for research purposes.
2. Students from other schools do not have access to Heafey Law Library. Please see exception #3, #4 and #6 below.
3. Currently registered law students from other Jesuit law schools have access to Heafey Law Library after showing a valid law school student ID to Heafey circulation staff and signing in to the visitor log. Access will be denied during SCU law school examinations.
4. Non-SCU law school graduates who wish to use Heafey Law Library as study space must furnish evidence they are enrolled in a comprehensive Bar review course offered on the Santa Clara University campus and pay a $50 access fee. Approved access dates for the February Bar exam begin the first day the Bar review course begins until the first day of the February Bar exam. Approved access dates for the July Bar exam begin the first day the Bar review course begins until the first day of the July Bar exam. Access to Heafey Law Library will be denied at all other times; see exception #6 below. Please contact the Heafey circulation desk at (408) 554-4072 for more information.
5. Librarians and faculty from other schools or libraries must make prior arrangements with a Heafey reference librarian and/or the library administration to gain access to Heafey Law Library; see exception #6 below. Please contact the Heafey reference desk at (408) 554-4452 for more information.
6. General members of the public do not have access to Heafey Law Library. Please use the Santa Clara County Law Library to access legal materials:
360 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95113
Open: Monday-Thursday from 8am-7pm, Friday 8am-5pm, and Saturday 9am-4pm
Closed: Sundays and all major holidays
Staff at the Santa Clara County Law Library can issue a one day pass to access Heafey Law Library if they do not own or cannot obtain the material needed. Please give this pass to Heafey circulation staff and sign in to the visitor log to gain access. This pass does not grant borrowing privileges or use of certain resources. Access will be denied during SCU law school examinations, even with a pass.
Page updated: May 21, 2010